Monday, August 16, 2010

I See Some BLUE In The House

Poor Trey--I've been wanting to make some changes to the house, and well, it's time. Unfortunately, I have my list, a rather lengthy "to-do list". So as not to overwhelm my hubby, I'm taking "baby steps". I decided while my parents were visiting that it's time for a new color palette. I've been wanting to replace the family room rug, and of course, in my mind I could picture exactly what I wanted. It's not so easy to find the "right" rug, but after searching many stores, I came across the "right" colors in a stripe. I probably wouldn't have selected a "shag", but ya know, I LOVE it! It lacks green, red and yellow...I know, I know--my favorite colors...but, I added blue for my hubby and kept brown for me :). See, everyone's happy now. Of course, the transformation is a LONG way from being finished, but at least the colors have been determined. I intend to paint the family room (soft beige) and hallway as well as the powder room (blue/grey), redo the mantle (perhaps tile & molding--shhhh, don't tell Trey yet!!) and eventually add crown molding to the downstairs (and hopefully upstairs hall). I'm still trying to determine how to link the green in the kitchen with the blues and browns in the family room, but I know "it'll come to me" in time. I'm sure the overall transformation will take a while, but once it's complete I'll be sure to share before and after shots. I can't wait to get started!! Next step, to select the perfect wall color :) YAY!! I love home improvement projects!!

In my mind's eye, I wanted blue, not too dark, cream and dark brown...those were the "must have" colors. The lighter tans and greys--well, those are just "bonus" colors. The blue is quite an adjustment for me--I've definitely stepped outside my comfort zone--but, I really love the new rug and am happy to have a new color palette to begin integrating into the house.









Once the walls are painted a softer color, I think the blues and browns will really "pop". I love the green in the kitchen and am hopeful, as mentioned above, that I can find a way to tie the two rooms together. Can't wait to see the finished product...maybe I'll be finished by Christmas??

3 comments:

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

ooooooohhh pretty!!

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

Hey - I just noticed your rug looks like your blog background! It's very "wendy-ish"!!

Wendy said...

LOL--maybe I like blue more than I thought :)