Saturday, June 5, 2010

Longaberger

I've lived in the Columbus, Ohio area, off and on, for a total of 7 years and have never ventured the hour East to visit Longaberger. That is...until Thursday! My friend Joan, a former Longaberger consultant, and I travelled to Dresden, Ohio to visit Longaberger--a family owned business. Their office building is shaped like the Medium Market Basket, but is 160 times larger! The building is approximately 180,000 squ. ft. and 7 stories. The handle weighs 150 tons and is heated to prevent ice from forming. It truly is an awesome sight!














The interior of the office building is equally as impressive. The first floor is divided into areas showcasing how to incorporate the baskets into various spaces in your home. A grand staircase is the center of attention on the first floor. The top of the building is all glass and Joan indicated that one of the Longabergers wanted the ceiling to open like a basket, but logistically it would have been a construction nightmare.





















After visiting the office building, we headed further East to visit the Longaberger Homestead. Joan and I meandered through the sale area, decided on a few purchases and then it was time for me to make my own basket!














My weaving assistant, Cindy, was incredibly friendly and has been working at Longaberger for 17 years! She typically weaves the larger pieces, specifically the oversize waste cans which typically take about an hour for her to weave. Let's just say, I'd probably still be there working on a project that large! We had Michigan fans next to us working on a "Go Blue" basket, so it seemed fitting that I should work on a "Go Bucks" basket for our basement Buckeye area.














I wove 3 rows of warm brown before weaving in "scarlet and gray" and then concluding with another 3 rows of warm brown.














After weaving the first several layers, I used a hammer and special tool to "tap, tap, tap" the "loops" in my basket. By tapping the loops, the woven bands are brought closer together, diminishing the spaces between rows.















I finished the remaining 3 rows of warm brown and then "tap, tap, tapped" again.















Cindy started the top band for my basket, and left instructions to tap into place the decorative tacks. I chose "OSU" on the sides and two footballs under each side of the basket handle.





















Since, I'm clearly an amateur in basket weaving, Cindy was quick to fix my minor mistakes. She straightened a couple tacks that I couldn't, and then gave them a final "whack" to make sure they were truly secure.















The handle requires a special tool, Cindy took care of adding the handle to my Buckeye basket.















Joan and I with my completed basket! I'm so happy that I chose to make a basket--it was lots of fun! I have a new respect for the ladies who make baskets for a living. While it was entertaining to make one, I'm not sure I would have the extended patience to make more!















After basket weaving, we ventured to the Homestead restaurant for a yummy lunch. I loved noticing all the baskets tucked throughout the Homestead. The flowers are creatively placed in baskets and a HUGE basket of apples is the center of the small village.




























































I had a wonderful visit to the Longaberger Homestead and hope to return some day soon.

No comments: