Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's Never Easy...

...to say "good-bye". Oscar was hand-picked with love by Trey many years ago from the Delaware County Humane Society. At the time he was fluffy and full-grown and we're estimating his age now to be 19+ years. He was an affectionate cat, always purring and searching for a warm lap to cuddle. I can't remember a time that we had friends & family over and Oscar hid--he was always out in the open--a part of what was happening. He had 3 "escapes" over the years. The first occurring when I was 9 months pregnant with Alexander when we lived in Little Turtle. Trey's friend accidentally left the slider open and both cats escaped. Symba stuck close to home, but Oscar bolted. I remember walking the golf course, extremely pregnant, around mid-night on a sticky, hot June night in desperate search for him. I did find him, but couldn't convince him to leave his "hiding spot". I left food out on the patio and sat on the stairs all night crying, waiting for him to return and thankfully he did. In Georgia, once again, he escaped. Trey and I posted signs in the neighborhood and I walked around the neighborhood calling his name, tears streaming down my face...not realizing, once again, how much I truly cared for him. As luck would have it, Oscar decided to visit a cat-loving neighbor and spent the night and day hanging out on their front porch bistro set before being "rescued" and loving returned home. And, one last time he escaped shortly after we returned to Ohio. Sophie was just a puppy and I accidentally left the back door open and Oscar quietly slipped out. Again, after searching for Oscar around our neighborhood and posting signs, we received a phone call a day later and a family living more than a mile from our home had Oscar--he had been fed a can of tuna and snuggled with her girls. He was one fortunate cat, but he always returned home to us, where he belonged. He's been in renal failure for almost 2 years and our vet was surprised that he lastest this long--he was a fighter for sure. It is with great sadness, that we say 'good-bye' to Trey's cat, our family pet. Time will heal the pain and we're thankful for Sophie's presence to help fill the void. Oscar, you will be deeply missed--but we know that you are no longer suffering and at peace.
We love you, Osc.



3 comments:

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

Oh Wendy - Now I'm crying!! Poor sweet little Oscar. I'll never forget how that cat "smelled" me as soon as I entered your house when I had a nursing babe..... he wanted to be right on my lap. I'm sure Oscar will be missed terribly. You are in our thoughts.

Wendy said...

Thanks Heather. Noah is taking his loss the hardest; but Trey and I are a close second. Alexander doesn't show much emotion--apparently it's not "cool"... I told Trey this morning that I expected Oscar to be waiting for me in the kitchen, sitting by the stove and my heart sank a little deeper when he wasn't there. I didn't realize how deep a hold he had on my heart! We appreciate your thoughts :o). Miss you!

Jennifer said...

Oh my I am so sorry I always love to call are pets are four legged friends they are so much more than a pet. I know how hard it is girl they are family they love us no matter what. I would like to say Oscar was the lucky one to have you guys as his family by the way he is beautiful!! Praying for the huge hole in ya'lls heart to feel better very soon!!