Saturday, April 18, 2009

Through the Eyes of the Beholder

"It's all in the eyes of the beholder" echoes through my mind as I listened to Noah's excitement and enthusiasm over the "blanket of yellow" in the green space behind our yard. It rained for three days earlier this week and on Thursday, when the sun finally reappeared, so did the "blanket of yellow". To us, the yellow "flowers", as they're affectionately called by Noah, are a weed and one of the biggest annoyances to Trey when caring for our lawn. But to Noah, he saw the dandelions as another flower blooming during the Spring season. When I paused for a moment and tried to see the beauty that Noah sees, the yellow truly is a bright and cheerful color and does look stunning against the green grass. He was eager to pick flowers and couldn't wait to share them with our neighbors. He even picked some for Mom. The flowers were forgotten for a while until Noah and I were returning from our afternoon bike ride. He again commented on the yellow flowers and told me, with the most serious tone, that boys should definitely come behind our home and pick the beautiful yellow flowers for their girlfriends. Noah has a sweet, caring heart and for just a moment I was able to see the dandelions more from his perspective than from my own. Ahhh--to be youthful and possess that sweet innocence...

My friend Kathie shared this poem with me and I thought it was fitting to add to this post...

A DANDELION IS A LOVELY
THING;
A GIFT ONLY A CHILD WOULD
BRING;
GROWN WHERE TINY FEET CAN
TROD;
SYMBOLS OF LOVE PLACED THERE
BY GOD.

1 comment:

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

AAwww.. I love this. And I love Noah. Can we just arrange the marriage NOW??? Emily, too, thinks that dandelions are just the BEST (as evidenced by our yard this spring after about ten million dandelion "puffs" were blown away with many wishes by lots of little girls).