Thursday, January 22, 2009

Learning more about Photography

Last night I had the pleasure of attending my second photography class. The instructor reviewed ISO (I think I finally "get that") as well as shutter speed and aperture (still reviewing these two factors). Once he felt we had an understanding of ISO (he'll continue to review the other two), he introduced flash and filtered flash. He gave each of us a cork to explore focusing with our "macro" setting. Then, he introduced white balance to us and made sure we were confident in changing white balance settings on our cameras. Below are the "experiments" I took during class (most were deleted; these were the "best").

"macro" setting with flash "macro" setting with filtered flash

The filtered flash "softens" the image and is appropriate for indoor lighting; especially portraits. AWB--auto white balance offers the most natural light setting
fluorescent setting creates an "orange/yellow" tinge to the imageCandescent or tungsten lighting creates a "green/blue" image

Coming soon:
This week's assignment-- "portrait photography"--my willing participant--Noah.

No comments: