Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Successful Surprise!!

Preparations for Trey's surprise 40th BDay party began over 2 months ago. I decided that I wanted to do something special for Trey and thought a surprise party would be perfect. Thankfully Trey wasn't suspicious when I repainted the kitchen (crying when the original color wasn't what I envisioned), stained the deck and insisted on mulching the entire yard after "perfecting" the flower beds. When asked, I replied that I wanted all the projects completed before the boys started summer vacation--which was partly true.


A HUGE thank you, again, to Ted & Michelle for distracting Trey and preventing him from tearing apart the kitchen for our upcoming remodel--Trey went to pick up "Plum Crazy" with Ted and we spent Memorial Day weekend with Ted & Michelle! I would have been so disappointed if the kitchen backsplash was missing for the party!

Our best friends, Ted & Michelle, were extremely helpful in executing the surprise! We planned for their arrival Saturday afternoon (from Cinci) to be the day's "surprise". And, it worked! Trey and Ted left around 2pm for a show at Easton and then out for appetizers and drinks. I told Trey that I wanted he and Ted to have fun, but he needed to be home by 7:30pm to change and be ready for our 8:30pm dinner reservations downtown (hee,hee). Meanwhile, Michelle & I ran to City BBQ, Kroger and The Home Depot for last minute "items". The kids (Alexander, Noah, Samuel and Olivia) were a tremendous help in setting up everything for the party!!

Spying from the living room window; anxiously awaiting Trey's return while approximately 30 guests waited in the kitchen for Trey and Ted's arrival. Ted did such a wonderful job of stalling Trey that they were about 10 minutes late in arriving home! I was a nervous wreck--I wanted everything to be PERFECT for Trey's evening! I didn't realize Jen was taking pictures of me spying and laughed when I realized what she was doing! I think Trey's facial expression says it all--he was DEFINITELY surprised!!! Trey beaming once he realized what was happening; eyeing the number of friends, family and neighbors who were there to celebrate with him! I was checking to make sure that this event was truly a surprise and that he clearly didn't have any idea. And, I'm still in shock that I was able to pull off a surprise party for him!! Trey with his parents (on either side of him) and his aunt and uncle behind. Trey's brother, Chris, and Elizabeth Middle school friends, Chad & Matt Steele and their spouses, good friends of ours, Jill and Denette Trey's co-worker, Bruce, and his wife Jen Trey's cousin, Rod, his friend Shane and his daughter Isabele. Olivia is front and center. Another childhood friend, Brian, and his wife Jane. Salllie, April, Jason and Tracy--Trey's cousins Trey's Dad hanging out with our neighbors, Katie, Suzy, Beverly, Fawaz and Alex Trey and Wendy with our best friends Ted and Michelle. I intended to light 40 candles, but you have no idea how much heat rises from that many candles!!
Happy 40th Birthday Trey!! May all your wishes and dreams come true.
Apparently it takes some effort to blow out almost 40 candles! Trey at 3 months

Trey at 18 months
Trey in 5th grade--apparently, he was voted "cutest boy in the class"
One of Trey's high school photos
And, Trey at 40!
Thanks to EVERYONE who played a part in helping to make Trey's 40th surprise party successful. Without the help of friends, neighbors and our families--I never would have been able to surprise Trey! The evening was PERFECT; one I know he will always remember!

No comments: