Monday, January 24, 2011

Ohio State Hockey Game

Saturday, January 22, 2011, we attended our first Ohio State hockey game.  The games are played at the Schottenstein Center on campus; same arena as Ohio State basketball.  We started our evening with dinner at Barley's before heading to campus on a very frigid night!  Trey did an amazing job with our seats and we enjoyed center row seats--perfect vantage point for a fast paced hockey game.   
 The zamboni clearing the ice before the start of the game.  The zamboni reappeared after the 1st and 2nd periods with a child being treated to a zamboni ride each time.  I looked at Alexander and simultaneously we replied, "I want a zamboni ride"!  
 The Ohio State University Men's Hockey team before the start of the OSU/Notre Dame game.

   I learned two things while watching the game.  First, a "power play" occurs when one team has a player(s) in the penalty box and the other team has a full team on the ice.  And, if a player is in the penalty box and the other team scores, regardless of penalty time remaining, the player is "released".  So, I tried my best to learn a little, which I did, but I'm still unclear of how this game's really played.  It's definitely fun to watch!

 After the 1st period, Brutus helped two little peewee leagues begin their 4 minute game.  Oh my gosh, it was adorable to watch the little ones on the ice!


We enjoyed a wonderful family evening together and hope to return for another hockey game soon!

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Hi Wendy! I ran across your blog during my daily Google for Ohio State hockey. (I blog about the OSU hockey teams a couple times a week.)

I just wanted to leave a note to say I'm so glad you and your family came out to the game and even more glad that you had fun! I hope you all will come again, and hopefully get to see the home team win next time.

P.S. It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on the game of hockey so far :)