Monday, May 10, 2010

Letting Go....For a Few Days

















The day has finally arrived--the early morning rise for Alexander to leave for his 4 day Washington DC trip. We rose early, 4:45am, and Alexander made his last preparations for his trip. We left the house a little before 5:30am and talked on our way to school. I mentioned that I was nervous and excited about him leaving and apologized for my constant reminders. I KNOW in my heart that he's more than capable of handling this trip, but honestly, I think it's me. My boys are growing up WAY too quickly! It was hard for me to watch him walk into school knowing that he would be leaving on a trip with his classmates and not having any family with him. His first time away from home, alone. He smiled, gave me a hug--more than I ever dreamed I'd get in front of his friends! I have to admit that I stayed with two other Moms and waited as long as I could before leaving. The 8th graders were all boarded on the buses, luggage stowed beneath and the principal was boarding each bus one last time for what I gathered to be last minute reminders (see Mom isn't the only one!). I returned to my car and have to admit that my eyes were a little watery. It was all I could do to leave school before the kids. As I looked in my rearview mirror, one last time, the first bus was beginning to pull out. The 8th grade adventure was just beginning. I do have any overwhelming sense of peace regarding the trip. The teacher in charge has done an amazing job organizing the trip and communicating with parents and the students. We're all on the "same page" and I know that this is a wonderful opportunity and a memory that Alexander will cherish!

No comments: